Thursday, January 14, 2010

health and safety 2002 amendment act ignored

This blog has been in play for some months to gain the full story go to left hand side blog archive go to bottom post and read upwards




Remember this in my last blog.



Paul, Telecom’s immediate and ongoing expectations relating to this are as follows:

• It is your responsibility to ensure that you are aware of, and comply with, any and all of Telecom’s Policies and Guidelines. These are all available on the Exchange intranet site.
You are to review these on a regular basis.

Now if that is the expectation required of me it is also the expectation that management should adhere to as well.

Don’t you think.

No management will decide which set of rules they will obey.

Remember earlier I indicated that I thought I was being micro-managed.

Well in a meeting on 23 of June2009 Shaun and Michelle admitted in front of me and Peter Cooper Davies that "yes I was being micro-managed "

So what transpired next has the appearance of breaching yet again. telecoms polices, if not the law.

This will something for the lawyers.

So what did they do, lets join the dots

Micro-management is a recognized form of workplace bullying.

Work place bullying is a stressor,stress in the work place is a hazard and has been since the health and safety in employment amendment act 2002.

They should have known this.

If they where doing their jobs correctly in all facets.

As they required of me.

But no its one set of rules for the goose and another set of rules for the gander

Confident they would be called to task for it inside their little clique they in the most part paid lip service to it but didn’t really act on it.

So to confirm my thoughts I sought the advice of Bryan Abraham National Health and Safety Manager for Telecom New Zealand

From: Paul Evans-Mcleod
Sent: Saturday, 11 July 2009 10:33 a.m.
To: Bryan Abraham
Subject: some clarity please
Bryan I would like to keep this communication confidential between us for the moment
Over the past 71/2 months I have found my self in constant dispute with my managers , recently an admission was made by the managers that I was being micro managed, which from the outset I was well aware of

Micro management is one of more recognisable aspects of workplace bullying; workplace bully is a recognised stressor in the work place

Management has two letters from my doctor to indicate that the on going and continued stress is impacting heavily on my mental health, emotional health and my marriage
Management do recognise I am under a great deal of stress and have advised me to and I have up taken EAP to help to cope but the micro managing continues

That being said do I have a case with regards below to file a complaint to OSH
Warm regards

Paul
His reply
From: Bryan Abraham
Sent: Monday, 13 July 2009 12:22 p.m.
To: Paul Evans-Mcleod
Subject: RE: some clarity please

Hi Paul,

As discussed, DoL (OSH) do very much identify workplace stress as a workplace hazard - they have a number of publications on the subject on their Internet site. http://www.osh.dol.govt.nz/

Bullying - along with numerous other situations (i.e. workload / hours of work etc.) can be stressors. These are documented in the attached DoL (OSH) publication - bullying specifically mentioned on page 24 - line 4 , and page 54 - para 7.3 (3).


http://www...search.dol.govt.nz/index.html?q=healthy+work+stress+guide&qwithin%5B%5D=All+sites&SearchSubmit=Search

Now remember that Bridgette Dalzell and possibly others are reading my emails
Here is a chance for them to back out of the nonsense that’s going on any pretext and stop but no action was forthcoming

So on the 140709 I attended yet another meeting present, were myself Iain from HR and Shaun, Peter.

Yet again Shaun when thru my misdeeds with regard to my behaviors on queue which was mostly in the form of you only declared ownership in 7 of 9 calls you only read the pop up in 6 of 9 calls blah blah etc

I had my head in my hands leaning across the top of another chair quite honestly I was passed it all my health was in tatters as was my marriage and I had had just about enough of the bullshit

So I let them go on a bit and then interrupted them quietly

Do you people recognize that you are breaking the law?

What?
I said do you people recognize that you are breaking the law?

What do you mean?

Lets see if you idiots (by this time I had little patience for them and their behavior and certainly no respect)

So I stepped them thru my thinking

Micro-management is a recognized form of workplace bullying. Work place bullying is a stressor;stress in the work place is a hazard and has been since the health and safety in employment amendment act 2002

Did you also know that you four, not the company are liable for the breech and could be subject to a period of two years in jail and or a $500,000 fine?

And yes Iain I have had it confirmed THAT I am right in my thinking, by one of your own people Iain,
Bryan Abraham
Do you know he is Iain? He is the National Health and Safety officer.Do you know who for Iain?

Telecom
Iain responses

Are you threatening us

No I said I am advising you, that you are in breech of the act nothing more nothing less

I then lost it I am afraid all the crap I had been putting up with spilled out I let rip and gave them their pedigree

I said I could die tomorrow from all this stress and you lot wouldn’t even send flowers

Iain the smug little prick said yes we would

With that said I could feel myself losing it,so I left the room

I went up to my desk and emailed Bryans letter to Iain

I went to the lunch room a got a cold coke and stood staring out the window taking deep breaths to calm my self down.

I still remember thinking that if the window was open, I should jump

My mind and body where heavily fatigued from all the stress.
I wasnt thinking rationally

I then went back to the meeting

I apologized immediately for the bad behavior and offered them a easy out

I said lets put all this crap behind us.

Accept mistakes have been made on both sides, accept that lessons had been learnt, wipe both slates clean and leave it at that.

Their response continue with the meeting almost as if nothing different had transpired

Yeap my cause was lost

The meeting concluded they noticed that I was extremely agitated.

yeah go figure and advised that I should take the rest of the day off

I thought stuff it I will

So I went back to my desk packed up and went to my car

As I was driving home I started to get extreme pain in my chest.

I though shit I am not having another heart attack am I

I resolved there and then the job wasn’t going to kill me.
In hindsight I should have gone back to work and collapsed dead in Shaun’s arms in front of all the staff

I said to myself if the pain still exists as I pass my doctors on the way home I going to pull in

Which I duly did

I explained I had chest pain that was quite severe I was immediately rushed into the surgery placed on a heart monitor and oxygen for an hour

I explained what had just occurred to the doctor I said I didn’t know if it was a stress reaction or a heart attack

At the end of the hour they sent me home with advice to take the next few days off so I did

Current telecom participants
Bridgette Dalzell current head of outsourced customer care at telecom New Zealand whom is Michelle Young's direct report at time of incident
Michelle Young call center manager Hamilton call center, whom is Shaun Hoults direct report at time of incidents

Shaun Hoult team manager weekend team Sat-Tues Hamilton

Iain Galloway HR representative spends a lot of time in Hamilton

1 comment:

  1. I love the comment "Are you threatening us". How is this a threat when you are just notifying them who you have been in contact with. Hardly a threat when its someone in Telecom. I would say unbelievable but I know better.

    ReplyDelete