Monday, January 4, 2010

suspicous as to thier intent

This blog has been in play for some months to gain the full story go to left hand side blog archive go to bottom post and read upwards




Why was I suspicious as to their intent?

Well no matter how many of us think we are indispensible we are not, people at the national level very rarely interact or communicate with those of us at the coalface as directly as this.....!!!!!!!!

Why.
because the majority of us are just not going to be around that long, national mangers recognize that and simply put have a cost benefit ratio worked out in their heads

After approximately 18 months you are past your use by date, you have earned enough if you are a half decent rep to repay the investment they have made in you.
Its that simple

I have friends that have been told that directly by managers when they have challenged a change in process/shifts that may or may not affect their work/life balance.


Besides I never saw a national manager when I was top of the heap, why would one want to see me now.

I mean, go figure

I already had most of the answers I was looking for in regard to the questions around redundancy.

It took months and was like pulling teeth to get.

So

It was very clear to me there was another agenda, their actions before and after the meeting belied the words that were spoken.

I mean really did they think I was that stupid.

why the sudden interest in answering my questions.

It required a hour and half trip to tell me something that could have been answered with a quick email or a phone call.

So again wtf

Plus remember all this was happening within weeks of my returning from a heart attack.
Not even the site managers had bothered to contact me send flowers or a bunch of grapes.

The thought never even crossed their minds .

This to a person who had only had two days sick leave in twelve years and had accrued 90 days sick leave in a site where most have used their allotment before they have even finishe training.

And suddenly everybody wants to meet me.

I mean really wtf.

Suddenly I'm that special.

Yeah right.

It was the national managers first lie "she wanted to meet me"

yeah right

She didn’t want to meet me.
She wanted to address another agenda.I suspected that it was something to do with my refusal to be chastised for the behavior referred to earlier.

I was of the thought that Michelle Young the site manager hadn’t taken kindly to me refusing to discuss same and had decided to bring in the big guns.

So I decided to test the waters at the meeting and see what transpired.

I attended the meeting , was introduced to the participants , initial discussion centered on my contract and redundancy payments, as I am/was on a very very old contract ,called the expired collective , a complex document so old that not a lot of people are aware of it, the size (90 pages long).

At that time Telecom had outsourced to Manila and I was concerned as to the ramifications and outcomes of that decision, especially at 57.

We settled all the outstanding issues and Bridgette agreed to have HR work out my redundancy to a certain date on the condition I understood it was just an example and that redundancy was not being offered at that time (nor has it since)

All this could have been addressed promptly and quickly months earlier.

I was patiently waiting for the penny to drop and sure enough it transpired exactly as I thought it would.

Low and behold Bridgette then wanted to address my lack of performance alluded to previously.

What a surprise!!!!!!!

I once again, informed both parties, that it had already been addressed, discussed, apologies offered and accepted. Performance improvements made .noted, appreciated and acknowledged. I considered the matter closed.
I expressed again, that I felt that it was wrong on the company’s behalf for me to be castigated for the same offense three times.

The meeting concluded and I once again thought that was the end of it but no it wasn’t

While at the meeting I had tested both, with some questions and answers to detect any “tells” as to their true character and their intentions.
The clues came very quickly .quite frankly in spite of the “stroking” they where giving me.

I quickly realized I had inadvertently stepped into the lions dens

My conclusions.
Iain Galloway was a sycophant beholden to Bridgette
And Bridgette was a manager whose style was very dictatorial l and was very conscious of the power she had and was not afraid to use it.

I had mistakingly assumed people at this level would have the maturity to put personal issues aside, be able to face being challenged as to their thinking without taking it as a personal affront.

All of my actions where done in a polite respectful manner, so I thought I might be ok but I left the meeting with the distinct feeling that this was going to turn very ugly.

Discussions with a number of team managers following the meeting affirmed my concerns this was a lady whose style was to rule by fear whose word was law and she would not tolerate any dissent and if she was in any way “bested “in a meeting, watch out
oh bugger suspected my days where numbered

Current telecom participants
Bridgette Dalzell current head of outsourced customer care at telecom New Zealand whom is Michelle Young's direct report at time of incident
Michelle Young call center manager Hamilton call center, whom is Shaun Hoults direct report at time of incidents

Shaun Hoult team manager weekend team Sat-Tues Hamilton

Iain Galloway HR representative spends a lot of time in Hamilton

1 comment:

  1. Racy. Can't wait for the next installment -there will be one, I trust?

    ReplyDelete